If you or your IT cannot resolve this issue we can attempt to assist over the phone. This would be a billable call at $55 for the per half an hour regardless of resolution. Call the number below or click below to fill out an IT help request and we will get back to you shortly.
GMail SMTP Create & Use (2FA) App Passwords
FROM GOOGLE: To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
In order to continue using a Gmail SMTP accounts in the MFPs, an App Password will need to be created.
- Go to the Google Account.
- On the left side, Select Security.
- Under “Signing into Google,” select App Passwords. You may need to sign in. If you don’t have this option, it might be because:
- 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
- 2-Step Verification is only set up for security keys.
- Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
- You turned on Advanced Protection.
5. If you don’t see this, then select 2-step Verification, select “Get Started” and go through the setup process.
6. Once you enter a contact method, only enter the numbers, do not include the “G”
7. Go back to the main menu, then under Signing into Google, select “App Passwords”
8. Tap the dropdown Select App and choose “Other (Custom Name)” [Example: Altalink C8070]
9. Follow the instructions to enter the App Password. The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device. (DONOTINCLUDETHESPACES)
10. Tap Done.
11. Afterward, you will NO LONGER see the “Less Secure App Access” section available from the main menu.
12. This App Password can now be used in your MFPs, SMTP Authentication credential section instead of the Gmail account password located in SMTP or email settings after putting your machines IP into a browser and logging in as admin (password is serial number or 1111 unless set to something else for Xerox machines). (again, DONOTINCLUDETHESPACES)
If by chance the App Password is lost
Every App Password can only be used once. You can generate a new App Password anytime.
If you lost a device that uses App Passwords:
- Go to your Google Account.
- At the top, tap Security.
- Tap App passwords and revoke the App Passwords from your lost device. You may need to sign in again.
- Create a new one from the process outlined above.